Skip to main content

What is Thoughtfulness?

Thought-ful-ness (n)

1. The state of being absorbed in thought.
2. Consideration for the needs of other people.

Why is thoughtfulness so valuable? The philosophy of thoughtfulness, as I have coined it, stands upon three basic understandings, or tenets: The pursuit of truth, the understanding of the mind to derive such truth, and a caring for others. In other words, truth is valuable to understanding the world, the understanding of the workings of the mind is necessary for clear thought, and love and compassion is a driver of that knowledge. All reasonable actions, as in those derived from true and loving thoughts, are rooted in thoughtfulness, both inward thoughtfulness and outward thoughtfulness.

As this blog is developed, ten primary ideas on managing thoughtfulness will be at its very foundation: Meditation, Unbiased Thought, Non-Binary Thought, Empathy, Humility, Mental Sovereignty, Sophistry, Skepticism, Solace, and Liberty. In learning about each idea, or Precept, you will begin to see how they relate to the truth, mind and heart, and how this philosophy works in a very non-dogmatic and evolving way. Each idea has its checks and balances, as any method of thought should, especially considering morality, advances in understand through scientific discovery and personal discovery.

In order for them to function properly, these precepts must be intrinsically undeniable by any concept, idea, thought, god, religion, or dogma. These ideas establish a foundation for which truth can be found despite any preconceived ideas of reality. For me, I was able to determine clearly and without bias the information and experiences presented to me. I needed an open mind, filtered only by that which was capable of, insurmountably, revealing truth. I am confident that without these concepts serving as a foundation for thought, that I would have halted any healthy mental progress. I would have been stuck in what I had deemed as real and true, and contradictory information would be passed over as either incorrect, in itself biased, or deceptive. I would have lived my life in my delusions, continually confirming my biases with the scattered agreeable input as I always had. This is why I don't think that watching any debate or reading any book would make much difference to a person who is settled in their ways. Any contrary input would, as often found, be only fuel for their biases or fuel for their dislike and distrust for those that hold that input as true. It builds the walls thicker and taller. So this is why I must present these ideas first, with clarity, and ask you to consider them as you pursue truth in your own life. You are not immune to your biases, instincts, mind and emotions, and so making first the conscious effort towards shedding your baggage by implementing ideas that fight them is of the utmost importance. 

Comments